Top Stories - December 4, 2014
- There’s Still Time To Submit Your Photo For IECA’s Region One Photo Contest!
Gain visibility and share your accomplishments with the erosion and sediment control community by submitting your photo for the contest. But hurry, the deadline is January 5, 2015!
- PRESTO GEOSYSTEMS® Offers MSE Retaining Wall Software
New software from PRESTO GEOSYSTEMS® creates vegetated and non-vegetated MSE designs based on the GEOWEB® system.
- Minnesota Erosion Control Association 2015 Awards/ MECA Charlie Parnell Memorial Scholarship 2015
Each year, MECA recognizes outstanding individuals and projects with awards, which will be presented at the MECA 2015 Conference March 12th. To recognize the outstanding work and enthusiasm Charlie Parnell contributed to the field, a $500 scholarship is available.
- StormTrap, Bio Clean & Modular Wetlands Announce Partnership
StormTrap, LLC has entered into a partnership agreement with Modular Wetlands & Bio Clean Environmental, pioneering companies in stormwater treatment filters.
- Call For Applications: ASMR 2015 Memorial Scholarships/ Student Travel Grant Application
American Society of Mining and Reclamation will award three scholarships to undergraduate, masters, and Ph.D. students having curricula leading to professions related to reclamation. The ASMR is also offering grants to support travel to the ASMR National Meeting in Lexington, KY.
There’s Still Time To Submit Your Photo For IECA’s Region One Photo Contest!
IECA’s annual photo contest is an opportunity to gain visibility and share your accomplishments with the erosion and sediment control community. Entries will be displayed on our website and enlarged to be showcased at Environmental Connection, IECA's annual conference and expo. The contest is FREE - so send in your photos!
Preliminary voting will take place on IECA's Facebook page by liking or commenting on your favorite images. Final voting of the top five will take place at Environmental Connection 2015. Ribbons will be awarded to the first, second and third place winners of each categories. The photo with the most votes in each category (first place) will receive $50 in cash. The winner must be present to obtain their prize. If the first place winner is not present at the time of the award (announced in the Environmental Connection 2015 conference program), the prize will be given to the second place winner if present. If the second place winner is not present, the third place winner may obtain the prize if present. If they are not present, the cash will be donated to IECA's foundation, the SOIL Fund.
Rules & Guidelines
1. Entries are due on or before January 5, 2015.
2. Photo resolution must be 300 dpi or higher. The higher the resolution, the better your image will appear.
3. Photos will be accepted only in .jpg, .tif, .gif or bitmap formats.
4. You must include a brief description for each submittal. See the entry form for details.
5. Entries will be screened for eligibility. IECA has the right of refusal for any or no cause.
6. Photos may only be submitted for entry to the Annual Photo Content once. Re-entries will be discarded.
7. Individual image filed may not exceed 10 MB in size.
8. Photos must be submitted electronically to: www.ieca.org/photosubmit.
Categories & Judging CriteriaBefore and After (Submit two photos for each entry in this category one Before and one After)
• Photo alignment - are the photos taken from exactly the same place?
• How much change is shown - how dramatic is the After photo compared to the Before photo?Impacts of Erosion and Sediment
• Degree of environmental impact - what is the effect on water or air quality?
• Degree of social impact - what is the effect on property, human life, infrastructure, etc.?Technology in Action
• Identification of technology - is it obvious what technology is being used?
• Degree of action - does the photo show a process or merely a completed installation?
All accepted submitted photos will be recognized at Environmental Connection - IECA's Annual Conference and Expo. These photos will be posted on the IECA website and may be featured in Erosion Control Journal, Environmental Connection Magazine, Land & Water Magazine and on association promotional material.
For more information, visit here.
PRESTO GEOSYSTEMS® Offers MSE Retaining Wall Software
The easy to use software is based on industry standard design methods and contains specific algorithms that capture the unique interaction between the GEOWEB® system, infill and backfill soil, and geogrid reinforcement and specific factors of safety.
- performs analysis with simple data input screens
- creates a full graphic design analysis and cross-sectional drawing
- contains a quick link to Presto’s SPECMaker® Specification Tool, a user friendly online program to build customized CSI-format specifications.
The combination of the GEOWEB® MSE and SPECMaker® Tool offers design and engineering firms a fast intuitive toolkit for creating design and specification documents.
To go right to the source, click here.
Minnesota Erosion Control Association 2015 Awards
Nominations are due by January 10, 2015. You can find more information and a nomination form at http://mnerosion.org.MECA Charlie Parnell Memorial Scholarship 2015
The Charlie Parnell Memorial Scholarship was established by the Minnesota Erosion Control Association (MECA) in 2007 to recognize the outstanding work and enthusiasm Charlie Parnell contributed to the erosion and sediment control and stormwater field. MECA wishes to award this $500 scholarship to an individual who wants to pursue an engineering or science degree with an emphasis on erosion and sediment control or stormwater management.
To see more information, click here.
StormTrap, Bio Clean & Modular Wetlands Announce Partnership
StormTrap, LLC, a leading innovator and provider of stormwater management systems, announced that they have entered into a partnership agreement with Modular Wetlands & Bio Clean Environmental, pioneering companies in stormwater treatment filters.
The partnership extends StormTrap's offerings to include Modular Wetlands' & Bio Clean's water quality product lines. In addition, each partner will have access to StormTrap's stormwater retention and detention products. This strategic agreement is part of the companies' commitment to continually provide innovative, sustainable solutions to manage stormwater responsibly and efficiently.
To go directly to the source, click here.
Call For Applications: ASMR 2015 Memorial Scholarships
American Society of Mining and Reclamation (ASMR) will award three scholarships this year to deserving undergraduate, masters, and Ph.D. students (one scholarship at each level) from academic institutions having curricula leading to professions related to reclamation. In addition to a cash award ($1,000 for undergraduate; $1,500 for masters, and $2,000 for Ph.D.), a plaque, one-year student membership, complimentary national meeting registration, and a meeting awards luncheon ticket will be provided.
More information and applications can be found at http://www.asmr.us.Student Travel Grant Application
ASMR announces the availability of travel grants for ASMR student members presenting a technical paper or poster at the Society's Annual Conference held each year. Grants of up to $250 will be awarded to a limited number of students to support travel to the ASMR National Meeting in Lexington, KY, June 6-11, 2015. For more info, e-mail Dr. Barry Stewart, ASMR Scholarship Chair: firstname.lastname@example.org.
To go directly to the source, click here.